Friday, August 11, 2017

Personalized Boxes Tutorial by Shanna


Hello SRM friends!! Shanna here, and today I am showing you a wonderful option for back to school organization that will give you what you need to keep your child's keepsakes for the school year all stored together neatly.  Of course I needed to personalize them, and SRM vinyl was the perfect choice!

First...you need to buy the containers... ready for your craftiness!


I decided to buy containers this year to store all the artwork and school projects that my boys will inevitably bring home that I cannot bear to part with... (Yes, I am one of "those" mamas that saves nearly EVERYTHING!) In order to pick what size container I needed, I looked at what my first grader brought home last year....He attends a Waldorf school, and they have a large focus on arts. It is a wonderful program, and he brings home a ton of great projects that he is very proud of.  The largest tends to be the watercolor paintings they do, so I kept that paper size in mind and went with the Sterilite 23 Qt. boxes that come with lids that snap on.  I found them at my local Walmart.

I love how you can fit so many things on one sheet of vinyl! After I designed and sized my files, I moved them around so I could save time and vinyl and fit everything on one 12x12 piece of vinyl.


I grabbed my matte white vinyl from SRM and an adorable black and white pin dot vinyl printed vinyl and designed a cut file in the software for my Silhouette Cameo. (I will list the design files at the bottom of the post).  I sized the files according to the measurements of my containers and VOILA! 


After the cameo has finished cutting, it's time to weed the excess vinyl away. Then all you need to do is cut around the words use transfer tape to adhere the words to the boxes!

 I always have enjoyed layering vinyl to give it an extra "pop", and chose to do that to the grade icons this time around.  I love the end result!  If layering vinyl intimidates you, there is no time like the present to start!  I am here if you have any questions along the way as well!


Easy peasy, and super functional storage for the upcoming school year's compendium of paper! 

I love how these turned out!




 How do you keep all the sweet things your child brings home organized??
 Any tips or tricks??  
Until next time,
Shanna

Materials used:
      (2) Sterilite Storage containers (your choice of size)
      SRM Patterned Black/White dot Vinyl
      SRM White Matte Vinyl
      Transfer Tape
      Silhouette Cameo
      Silhouette Design Store cut files: